10/18/11

...

I’ve been giving it a lot of thought and I’ve come to the conclusion that music is a lot like sport.


You see I often marvel at sport’s ability to connect people no matter what their differences and I’m fascinated by how guys chasing after a ball and sort of, but not quite, touching each others’ balls can have people glued to their TVs. I watch with wonderment as the outcome of a match dictates peoples’ emotional state for the day and to be honest with you all the while I secretly wish that local music had the same hold and impact on people.


I guess with sport you always know what you’re going to get, there’ll be a loser and there’ll be a winner and they’ll both be praying to god to win, and god will be too busy being an omnipotent, unimaginably magnificent being to give a shit, but that’s not the point...point is, there are a lot of rubbish bands around so I can understand why people feel like, when it comes to music, they don’t always know what they’re going to get. At the same time there are a lot of brilliant bands out there and let’s face it you have to wade through a lot of B.S before you find a diamond. Today everyone who owns an electronic device can make a tune and put it out there so be prepared to wade the crap out of that crap.


But back to sport and music.


Think of bands like ‘teams’ and gigs like ‘matches’. There will be winners and there will be losers, sometimes everyone will lose and sometimes everyone will win. There will be good sportsmanship between bands but sometimes it will get dirty. I like to think of sound engineers as ‘referees’ who occasionally “fix” gigs with bad sound ruining the most brilliantly talented band’s game. Of course some refs are fantastic and get kick drums sounding so phat you can feel the beat in your chest. And who doesn’t love a streaker? The analogy is endless.






My point? I don’t have to have a point.

End.